Our first regional competition is Great Northern Regional in Grand Forks, ND, on February 28 – March 3, 2018. This page covers schedule, packing list, lodging, transportation and more. Contact Toby with any questions.
In general, students will have a high degree of independence. We are staying in a hotel, and students will be 4 or 6 to a room. Mentors/coaches will share rooms as well. Behavior expectations are high, and anyone not meeting our team’s code of conduct will have to return home.
All team members going to Grand Forks must:
- Have parents complete the Permission form.
- Send in payment. Sliding scale, recommended $200. Make checks out to GRS Foundation and hand to Toby.
- Submit academic release forms, signed by each teacher.
- Be on the bus at 12:30 pm on Wednesday, February 28th
Sign Up Form
$200. As always, families should pay on a sliding scale. If you can pay extra – we thank you! If you should not pay that amount, please do not. Checks get made out to GRS Foundation, and get handed to Toby. The fee covers most of the hotel cost, which is a huge help. Other team income pays for the rest of the hotel cost, the bus, the food, and the $5,000 FIRST registration fee.
Grade Check Form
- Great River Grade Check Form (PDF)
Have all your guides sign, then return the paper to Toby.
- Avalon Grade Check Form (PDF)
Teacher signatures for all classes, adviser signatures for all projects.
The team will travel by school bus to Grand Forks
- 12:30 pm, Wednesday, February 28th: Load bus at Avalon School. Depart at 1 pm.
- 11 pm, Saturday, March 3th: Approximate arrival time back at Avalon School – Students should call with updated times as we get close to the cities.
The team will be staying at the Expressway Suites. Each room has two queen beds and one pull-out couch, housing 5-6 students. There is a heated pool at the hotel, and refrigerators/microwaves in all the rooms. The competition is at the nearby Alerus Center, in easy walking distance.
There will be regular meals, snacks and water breaks. Students can bring snacks or other food from home if they wish – there are refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms.
Breakfasts: The hotel breakfast includes: eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors.
Lunches: Two lunches will be sandwich bar in the hotel room. Bread, meat, cheese, vegetables, etc. One will be hot dogs/not dogs.
- Wednesday: Sloppy Joes at the Hotel
- Thursday: Macroni hot dish or baked potato bar
- Saturday: Bring money for a stop for fast food on the way home.
Our team home base during the regional is in the stands. Our team will stake out a purple unicorn spot, where we’ll maintain a presence throughout the competition. We’ll be doing scouting, video, photos, resting, sharing information, and cheering. Parents are encouraged to join us in the stands. Team members are also encouraged to use the stands as the home base. Visit the pit, work there as needed, but remember that it’s a very small space!
Unlike a regular school trip, please bring your cell phone and charger – they are critical for communication during the competition.
- NoMythic t-shirt (bring extras if you have them)
- 2 pairs of pants
- 3 pairs socks
- 3 pairs underwear
- Indoor shoes + outdoor shoes
- Outerwear in layers – we’ll be walking 1/2 mile to the Alerus Center each day, regardless of weather. And the convention center may be hot or cold.
- Bathing suit – there is a pool and a large hot tub.
- Pillow (optional)
- Sleeping bag/pad (optional – good if you don’t want to share a bed)
- Deodorant – stick, not spray, please!
- Toothbrush/paste – please!
- Other toiletries, as desired
- Water bottle!!
- Backpack to carry your things
- Some sort of photo ID
- Cash – Small amount of cash for snacks at the convention center (if desired), plus $5-$10 for dinner on the way home.
- Snacks – there will be some group snacks, but students may prefer to bring their own (cheaper than vending machines at the hotel or the concession stand)
- Phone + charger, if you have one (see above)
- Electronics – please leave laptops and gaming devices at home. They are distracting and encourage staying up too late.
***No late night anything allowed – there will be a lights-out time – we need our sleep!
Any medications necessary for this overnight trip must be listed on the medical form turned in for the FIRST Robotics trip. Please enclose all necessary medications in original prescription containers in a sealed plastic bag labeled with your child’s name. Bring medications to practice Tuesday, February 27th.